Monday, April 16, 2007

Classics - The Music that don't die

…Just take those old records off the shelf
I’ll sit and listen to ‘em by myself
Todays music ain’t got the same soul
I like that old time rock n roll…-Bob Seger (Old Time Rock n Roll)

Guess it’s high time I hit the keyboard again. With having less than 1.5 months before the end of the University saga, life gets into a kinda shell; which, in a way, makes things look rather hazy ahead, and music sounds to be just great to set things right. I’ve just had my good ol’ ‘hard earned’ classics collection got together so that not only me, but also my father can enjoy it too whenever he’s bored with watching same old DVDs. It took hundreds of hours for the hunt with the 115 kbps CDMA and couple of P2Ps hooked up; but in the end, it’s just worth the trouble to have something that you can truly enjoy . It may look rather odd for a young fella like me (presuming 25 is not that old) to love the classics and oldies while all the mates go jumping around for rock and hip-hop. Well…nothing wrong with rock and other genres, but you never realize what and how much you’ve been missing out in music until you start enjoying classics. They define a unique and genuine style where the rhythm, class of voice and meaning of song surpasses most of the trends in modern genres (it’s never the same with Kershaw’s version of ‘Riddle’ and Gigi’s). Probably one would find classics are too slow and of inferior audio quality to blast away the 3000W sound systems . And some young folks would think oldies just don’t go with the beat of their life. In fact that’s what I was thinking few years back when I used to fill up the room with thrashing heavy metal while my father was going with the ‘Golden Oldies’ show on SLBC. I thought then that he’s just too old so he can’t go with the beat of today’s style. I now find that I was wrong, that it’s just the temperament and state of mind that puts you there. For me, drive towards classics was not something happened abruptly, but more of an evolution of mind. From the very young years with soft pop, passing adolescent years with rock, metal and techno and then onto a matured state with the classics. Thirty years from now on, what’s modern now becomes classics in time and maybe then I’d be able to crank up my radio and listen to ’50 Cents’ while my grandchildren listen to some crap that’s beyond my imagination . :-))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, nice work mate...really nice work!!!:)

When u start to become really interested about collectin' dvds, in the same intensity as u have towards oldies, u buzz me!!!:)) I'm up for it in a-cracker-nut!!:))

Keep up the good work!:) Cheers!!!